Halter Ranch Vineyard
Halter Ranch is located in the heart of the Paso Robles' Westside Adelaida District.
8910 Adelaida Road | Paso Robles , CA 93446
Open by appointment only.
Monday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday: 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Friday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sunday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Dec 24: Closed
Dec 25: Closed
Lunch Service | 11:00AM - 3:30PM
Amenities ( Hover for details )
- Vineyard Details
- Varieties Grown
- Press & Accolades
AboutHalter Ranch is a vineyard and winery located in Paso Robles on California’s Central Coast. It is protected from the ocean by the Santa Lucia Mountain Range. Halter Ranch has a rich history combined with a commitment to quality, science-driven sustainable methods, and environmental stewardship.
Hansjörg Wyss purchased the original property in 2000, renovated the 19th-century Victorian farmhouse, and enlarged the vineyard. The estate spans over 2,700 acres, with 200 acres of sustainably produced wine grapes, 10 acres of walnuts, and organically certified 17 acres of olives.
Halter Ranch produces 100% estate-grown Rhône and Bordeaux-style wines. Primary wines produced are Grenache Blanc, Grenache-based Rosé, CDP (a Rhône style GSM), Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, and the flagship Estate Reserve, Ancestor.
Winner of the Environment Award, California Green Medal: Sustainable Winegrowing Leadership Awards.
- The estate vineyard was initiated in 1996 and has since been expanded to its present 200 acres. The vines occupy the steepest, most south-facing slopes on the property, which reach an elevation of 1,750 feet, are rich in limestone and provide excellent water drainage and sun exposure.
- First Date Planted: 1996
- Last Date Planted: 2020
- Row Orientations: Varied
- Row Spacings: Varied
- Trellis Type: Head Trained, VSP (Vertical Shoot Positioning)
- Rootstock: 1103P, 110R, 5BB, 420A
- Irrigated/Dry Farmed: Irrigated and Dry Farmed
- Soil Types: Primarily alluvial Monterey Series (calcareous clay and clay loam, with shale and sandstone deposits), including Ayar, Calodo, Cropley, Los Osos Variant, Nacimiento, Nacimiento-Sorrento, Sorrento, Zaca
- Slope Description: Vines occupy the steepest, most south-facing slopes on the property as well as valley floor and one north facing.
- Aspect: Varied
- Harvest Method: Hand harvested & Machine Harvested
Grenache Blanc | 6.93 acres
Grenache Blanc | 3.56 acres
Vermentino | 4.74 acres
Viognier | 4.5 acres
Grenache Blanc | 36.76 acres
Mourvèdre | 4.02 acres
Syrah Noir | 26.73 acres
Cabernet Sauvignon | 63.1 acres
Malbec | 7.14 acres
Petit Verdot | 16.8 acres
Sauvignon Blanc | 3.21 acres
Cabernet Franc | .75 acres
Alicante Bouschet | 5.32 acres
Carignane | 1.48 acres
Petite Sirah | 9.04 acres
Tannat | 8.88 acres
Tempranillo | 1.75 acres
Zinfandel | 3.57 acres
Press & Accolades
- Jul 2019 | Winery of the Year
- 2017 International Award of Excellence in Sustainable Winegrowing, Botanical Research Institute of Texas (BRIT®), Jan 2017, Gold Medal
- 2016 Sustainable Winegrowing Leadership Awards, California Green Medal, Jun 2016, Green Medal (Environment)